Saturday, June 18, 2005

wok don't run

The wall of knowledge is out of control.

The WOK is the pride and joy of my bar studying. It is the perfect technique for computer-savvy, borderline ADD hustlas like myself. The WOK was engendered during my first week of Bar studying when a crucial revelation was given unto me. The Bar does not care if you understand the law. No no. It wants you to know the law verbatim - the exact language of every doctrine and element.

Now I don't know about you, but that is simply not how I role. In other words, it's not enough to explain the law to the Bar examiners, they want you to recite it. And so the WOK was born. When I come upon a legal issue or doctrine that I'm just not getting and seems to be coming up a lot on practice questions, I open up Word and make a little 8 1/2 x 11 poster about it, which sumarizes the concepts while still including the critical legalese. Then I tape it up on my wall.

So if my memory gets a little hazy on parol evidence or warrantless search exceptions, I just look at the WOK instead of mulling through the books and outlines. All well and good.

Then I started adding pictures. It started innocently enough. My print-out for specific intent crimes incorporated a mnemonic device that involved Final Fantasy VII so I put a picture of Cloud Strife on there. But only because I couldn't find a picture of Kimahri. Yes, my nerdery knows no limits.

Now my homicide print-out has Dr. Dre on it. And my free speech print-out has Zach DeLaRocha, and my Establishment Clause print-out has a picture of the guys moving the Ten Commandments monument. Tasteless, I know. That one's in the corner with the rest of the Con Law stuff.

Also, ChrisA has reported to me that she knows people who are studying anywhere from one to five hours a day for the Bar exam. Granted, that's for the Texas Bar exam. I understand that on the Texas Bar exam, you are allowed to use any color of crayon that you wish.

Anyway, I'm obviously not "on" tonight, and I know how picky you savages are, so I'll be taking my leave of you. Besides, it's time to make my print-out for the wonderful subject of standing. Whose picture will I incorporate into this lovely document? Michael Newdow. And if you don't get that joke, you should do just fine on the Texas Bar exam.