Friday, December 09, 2005

a memo to all of my readers who happen to reside in southern california

Seriously. What is wrong with you people?

65 degrees is not cold. That's just all there is to it. It's just not cold. Tonight, I'm at Fashion Island doing some Jesusmas shopping. And as I'm exiting the doors to the enclosed food court thingy, there's a guy walking towards the exit, buttoning up his huge wool coat, and exclaiming, "oohhhh, I do not want to get out in that cold!"

It's 65! Long sleeves? Sure. Sweaters? Acceptable. But outwear designed for Arctic seafaring? And complaining like an old woman? Actually, to say that does an injustice to old women. I once saw it get to -16 in Lubbock. I once played 3 sets of tennis in -8! In Abilene! Now that's cold. 65 is not cold. Yet all the Californians have their gloves and scarves and snowy hats and earmuffs. You'd think they were all about to go ice-skating. Babies. Actually, that does an injustice to babies.