Thursday, November 04, 2004

super smash drama

An update on the Iola Showdown: If there was any lingering doubt that Team Gere/Cyrus had clinched the victory, we demolished it. Remember that scene in Zoolander where Derek unleashes Magnum? That how amazing we are.

We set a new standard for pranking with the lethal combination of the AntiPrank and the UberPrank. The AntiPrank made us the winners as a matter of theological principle. Remember how I mentioned that TheGirls had gotten written up by the city for having weed overgrowth in their alley?

On Monday afternoon, Team Gere/Cyrus braved the 35-degree arctic blasts and pulled every last one of those weeds. Yeah. I know. "It's....beautiful!"

So why does this seal the victory for us? Well, according to Jesus, the world's greatest Democrat, he who would be first must be last and servant of all. That's us. We served. So we win. So unless TheGirls show up and wash our trucks and darn our socks, we're the victors.

As for the UberPrank . . . well, it's just the proverbial cherry on top of the AntiPrank icing. And it has yet to be discovered. Let's just say, pride goeth before the fall.

* * * * *

Perhaps the most horrible thing that TheGirls have done to me in the past few weeks wasn't even a prank.

They accidentally erased all of my hidden characters in Super Smash Brothers Melee. Young Link, Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Pichu, Roy, Marth. All gone. Even Mewtwo.

And if you're a SSB fan, you know how freaking hard it is to get Mewtwo. You have to play 700 VS matches, or play VS mode for 20 hours. Sick.

I wasn't in the room when it happened. But I hear it involved ChrisA trying to enter the Contra 30-lives code. What are the odds that up-up, down-down, left-right, left-right, B, A, start, would lead to a menu boldly proclaiming "Delete Hidden Characters?" I was in my office reading for Elder Law when it happened. I heard a lot of commotion which included D-Lew screaming, "wait!", followed by "oh my GOSH!" So I emerged to see what had transpired.

Everyone was sitting in front of the TV, quietly and awkwardly looking back and forth between ChrisA and me. D-Lew stood up and slowly proceeded in the direction of the front door.

Suddenly, he shouts, "ChrisA deleted all the secret characters!" Then he ran out the front door, jumped in his car and drove off. Of course, I'm thinking, that this was less than possible. I was wrong. They were all gone.

It's been almost two years since I was into that game, so my skills are rusty. There seems to be little hope of reclaiming Pichu and Falco. But we got Ganandorf, who we didn't have before, and he's pretty much a force. So I suppose that's some consolation. Sigh.

Anyway, enough nerdery. Maybe someday, when I have a job and a family, I will turn from my affinity for videogames. Because apparently, when those two socio-economic moons come into alignment, you magically become like, a different person. Kinda like when Princess Zelda turns into Sheik by pressing down and B.

* * * * *

Tonight is the season premiere of The O.C.. There just are not words.

My joy is complete.