Saturday, September 09, 2006

from the home of swap meets, sticky green and bad traffic

I've left Kyle hanging on his meme tag for more than a week now. So with James Brown and a potta coffee as company, I shall do my utmost to respond according to his expectations. Hey Kyle, remember back in the day when we were in Dee's Challenge group? We're old.

Can I count it off?

Three things that scare me:

1. I covered this in a post from last year. The three things are scorpions, bears, and ski jumps. I would like to say that I've hated bears waaay before Steve Colbert made it cool to hate bears. My hatred/phobia of bears is vintage '98. I feel like I would be cheating everyone if just listed those three again, so I'll mark them all up as one and move on with two bonus fears.

2. Getting disbarred. To characterize the practice of law as my marketable skill strains the definitions of "marketable" and "skill", but nonetheless, it's all I got. So if ever get disbarred, I'm going to have to pound the pavement armed with my undergraduate English degree. Scary.

3. The prospect of ever having to buy a home in Southern California.

Three people who make me laugh:

1. Ricky Gervais. Sorry Kyle, but the American version of The Office is grossly inferior to the original BBC masterpiece.

2. Ryan North. A virtuoso of blending highbrow humor and complete idiocy, Dinosaur Comics never fails to brigthen my day. Enjoy.

3. Matt Chandler. Back before I discovered the joys of beach running, I would load up some Chandler sermons on the iPod before heading to the gym. He's quite funny, and there's nothing like spitting VitaWater all over the elliptical machine to make sure those gym bunnies don't bother me too much.

Three things I hate the most:

1. The 405 between 3:15pm and 8:00pm and how the ineptitude of the Bristol and Euclid on-ramps makes traffic come to a complete stop.

2. Bill O'Reilly is like, always on somewhere in this house. "Shame on you, sir!" Ugh. Give it a rest, Bill.

3. The beach closing at 10pm. It's the friggin' beach! How do you close the beach?

Three things I don't understand:

1. Why 24 is more popular than LOST.

2. Why my agnostic boss asks me questions about Christianity and the Bible, and when I answer him he turns away and won't respond to anything I say. Dude - do you want to know or not?

3. Why it's ok for people to think I'm weird because I don't like sports, but it's not ok for me to think other people are weird because they don't like Dostoevsky.

Three things I'm doing right now:

1. Still listening to James Brown.

2. Still knockin' out that potta coffee.

3. Wishing Jacquelyn would hurry up and move to California already.

Three things I want to do before I die:

1. Have a cool haircut.

2. Be a law professor.

3. Drive up the Pacific coastline, either by myself or with someone who shares my taste in music.

Three things I can do:

1. Read body language very well.

2. Dominate so hard at Six Degrees of Separation that it's disturbing.

3. Quote rap lyrics.

Three things I can't do:

1. Amusement park rides that involve spinning. That means you, Tea Cups.

2. Correctly say the phrase "Chocolate syrup". It comes out "chocolate sheerup".

3. Bring myself to go back to that park where the small Mexican man followed me around on a bicycle and tried to molest me.

Three things you should listen to:

1. Sigur Ros. My obsession knows no bounds.

2. The Justin Cofield Band. I used to be their official photographer. I am overjoyed that they are now available on iTunes - and by association, so am I.

3. Trespassers William. Music for gettin' some. Yeah, I said it.

Ok, I'm tired of this and we're about to go eat.