Tuesday, September 28, 2004

eleven thirty pacific

"Somehow they know not to call until you really forget."

That's from my favorite movie, Swingers, and it's as true as any statement could be without being Biblical.

I couldn't sleep last night. Not so much because I was being brooding and contemplative and wrestling with important life issues, but mainly because I took a four-hour nap and drank a lot of coffee while I was doing some work at school.

At 1:30am, I decided that I might as well do something productive, so I arose to gather up all of my laundry in order to prepare for the laundry marathon I had planned for today. I flipped on the light-switch, and over the screaming of my retinas, I heard a faint sound:

*beep*

A text message. From Lady Friend.

Exactly one month to the day since the last time we spoke, when she asked, "can I call you right back?"

I put the phone down and gathered my laundry. I then returned to bed to brood, contemplate, and wrestle with important life issues.