Wednesday, September 19, 2007

we'll float on good news is on the way

I'm not complaining. After all, 12 hours is by no means an uncommon amount of time for a young associate to spend in the office. It's probably only slightly above average. But as I'm creeping up on the 11.5 hour mark, I must lament that this is a painfully long session devoted to one project entirely.

Last week I spoke of summary judgment motions. They are perhaps the most cerebral of the various flora and fauna of trial level paperwork, and even when they are relatively straightforward they are still just freaking long. So I've been hacking away at this thing since 6:30 this morning. And it's starting to show in the work product. After that many hours, my writing starts to, well, suck. The last few paragraphs are mostly indistinguishable from my quasi-sibling's 5th-grade paper about tea parties.

So I must give my brain a rest and devote a few moments to blathering to you people. It's something that must be done to ensure the continued quality of my legal analysis. Now that I think about it, I should be billing for this post.

And also, there is entirely too much going on this week. To borrow a turn of phrase from R7, I am just not dealing. This sorry excuse for a summary judgment has to be finished by tomorrow afternoon so that it can be hand-served on Friday. Well, that's a tad disingenuous. It has to be done by tomorrow afternoon because I'd sooner be disbarred before I would miss seeing Damien Rice at the Greek Theatre in L.A.

And on Saturday, I'll be attending the USC game. For those of you who know me in real life, I will not be reimbursing you for any damage done to your computer equipment because you spit your beverage on it after reading the preceding sentence.

And then Sunday is the official launch of our new youth group what-have-you. So I'm on the hook for all of that as well. Last week I appointed a few of the kids to an ad hoc leadership team. And in light of the fact that ad hoc means "arranged for a particular purpose only", I should clarify by explaining that the "particular purpose" of my leadership team is to do stuff for me because I am deeply lazy.

Although, I did tell my team that if they so desired, they could come up with a clever name for the leadership/getting me coffee team. And what did they pick?

The Others. I kid you not. I wasn't too thrilled about the idea of being Ben, and they said I could be Jack. However, that would just not be canonical, and I am nothing if not canonical. Although I guess I could be Jacob... Or maybe that's too obscure...

Or maybe I should just get back to work.