Thursday, March 13, 2008

most hated by the haters

I have often said that when it comes to being an attorney, I love 25% of it, hate 25% of it, and feel indifferent to the other 50%. I consider myself lucky, as I conjecture that many people cannot claim to not hate 75% of their job.

In one of my cases, the other side failed to respond to discovery. So I filed a Motion to Compel - a standard litigation procedure. Today, the opposing counsel got the mail service copy and called my office. He yelled, cursed at me, insulted my age and inexperience, accused me of extortion and perjury and told me that if I don't withdraw the motion, he'll seek sanctions. Then he wrote a letter to my supervising partner saying much the same.

I'm still trying to decide what percentage bracket all of this falls into.