Monday, January 10, 2005

goodnight charlotte

Yowza, that's like a no-posting record for a glib blogger such as myself. But I guess for me, posting is mostly a means of procrastination, and during Christmas break, there isn't much to procrastinate from. But school is upon us, and with three reading assignments for Wednesday and a stout shelf check due a week later, I can now gladly forsake them all.

So what have I been up to the last couple of weeks? Shameless laziness. Sleeping until 1 or 2 in the afternoon, playing Metroid Prime 2 for hours on end, and watching movies until the early morning hours. I've been frustrated by a lot of "good-but-not-great" movies, such as Collateral, The Manchurian Candidate, and Shaun of the Dead.

And in more recent news, I have acquired a new cell phone. Usually, new cell phones are a cause for celebration, bringing great joy to the junior high girl inside of us all. "OMG! It's got a camera! That is so rad! And I can download "Over and Over" by Nelly and Tim McGraw as my ringer! Cool beans!"

But you all know how I feel about camera phones. About the same way that I feel about "Over and Over" by Nelly and Tim McGraw. How a loving God could let either of those two things exist really challenges my faith. And scorpions. I will never understand how God continues to create scorpions and say, "yep, I'm cool with those."

Camera phones are a worthless device that cell phone makers cram into a phone just to justify charging me an extra $30 for the stupid thing. They take awful pictures, and unless the phone has Bluetooth, they're stuck on there anyway. And the kind of people who get excited about camera phones don't even know what Bluetooth is. Because they're in 8th grade.

Charlotte

You were loved.

I loved my old cell phone. Charlotte. An antique Nokia 3390 that the awesome Cody D. gave me as a loaner when I dropped my fancy-shmancy T160 in the toilet. Charlotte represented the finest that the old school of phones had to offer. She kept it real. Monochrome display, regular ringers, no camera, built like a Volvo; truly a phone worthy of someone like myself who was born 40.

But she started having problems last week. The "1" key mysterically turned the phone off. The display would flash random symbols. It would turn itself off for hours and then back on somehow. The clock, service, and battery icons would vanish and reappear. And sadly, today, the phone could only display "Contact Service", and was unresponsive.

So, being the good little consumer that I am, I threw money at the problem and picked up a new phone at Wireless Warehouse. If you live in Lubbock and don't buy your cell phones there, you're stupid. My check card wouldn't work, but they let me take the phone home anyway. Not that they would let you do that since you probably aren't in the owner's Leaders group, but that's the kinda guys they are. That concludes my shameless plug. Sugar Brown's is awesome, too. Go there early and often

Moving on is hard, but I hope that in time, I will come to love Ethel (a petite Motorola C650) as passionately as I treasured Charlotte.

Is it time for Mission Trip yet?